Monday, July 12, 2010

UPDATE: Tattoos of California

I am taking a good break from everything this week. That includes my tattooing, which is a break from my normal job of teaching 5th grade. I'm in Northern California right now, and I'm noticing that tattoos are much more common here than in Utah. I see a tattoo on more than half of the people I see in this town! This would not be such a big deal if I were not used to the huge difference of seeing a tattoo once a week or so in Happy Vally, USA. However, there's something to say about what I'm seeing.

Forgive me if I sound confusing at all. We had Mint Juleps tonight and whiskey gets me a little too easily. Anyway, the thing I'll point out about a lot of the tattoos I've seen in California is that a good handful of them seem to have been done with a lack of skill. NOTE: I am not saying I have that skill. ... yet. What I am saying is that many people have tattoos that are everything to them, and were done in the best way the person knew they could get them at the time, but that the execution of these designs sometimes leave something to be desired. Whether it's the ability of the artist (whoever he/she was) or the choice of design by the wearer, I feel like there is a great deal of tattooing that has been done in either haste or (for lack of a better phrase) low artistic skill.

Some tattoos I have seen looked a bit... scribbled. Others were off-center on a person's body part. One that I saw in a grocery store the other day wasn't even filled in the right way. What I am seeing is making me take pride in my desire to always give my clients something that will never be duplicated. It is my dream that they will never look at that tattoo and have the slightest regret. A person's body is far too precious to leave a permanent scar on it willingly that will detract from its beauty.

Anyway, I know that this post is long, but I felt like I should put it online. I know that I'm not where I want to be quite yet, but I feel so confident that I can soon get there, based on my ever-present ability to express myself in new mediums. I have already given tattoos that are beautiful and unique, and I feel like I am living a personal dream through it. A big thanks goes out to every person who has offered their skin so far. I know that you took a gamble by accepting an offer from a beginner, but I keep hearing that you got way better than you expected, so I am definitely not going to stop with this new hobby of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment